Calvary


Last night was my last church service at Calvary. It went down like it was supposed to, with cake and having everyone pray for me. I led worship for the junior highers, which went well as it always does. Most of the kids that were in J. High when I started are now in High School. So, the going away "party" was somewhat uninvolved. I like to think that the kids didn't quite grasp the magnitude of my impact on the ministry. But then I realize that my impact wasn't as great as how my self-righteousness would make it out to be. It was a blast to be a part of it, either way. I remember when I first showed up the room was way too small for the amount of kids that we had. The walls were painted with a mural highlighting the name "Jesus" that seemed poised in victory over the less impressive name of "Satan." There was a fusball table, where I learned how to play. And the 14 of us sat in the crowded room, listening to Chuck lead us in somewhat outdated worship. Then Andrew or Roger, who quickly became my greatest Friend in Monterey, would get up and preach the word with passion and precision. The whole scene was quaint, comfortable, and familiar. Now, two years later, James has taken Matt's spot, who took Roger and Andrew's spot in teaching. We have moved next door, into a much bigger room to facilitate our larger group of about 35 each week. My original kids have all gotten bigger, and I was still excited to see them last night, even though it was my last time. I know that the Lord has something awesome in Georgia for me. I know that there is some other ministry and some other youth group for me to fall in love with. But right now, all I can say about Calvary Chapel Monterey Bay is that I'm going to miss it.

Comments

Romondo Davis said…
I'm so blessed by your life.

Popular Posts