Columbia, My Distraction


This morning I woke up and said to myself, "I should go to Columbia(SC) today." So I did. It's a college town that's an hour away. There's a Steak 'n Shake there and in my eagerness to get home and experience all things St. Louis, I went there first. That alone was worth the trip, though Steak 'n Shake is not as fun when I'm by myself. I learned that much. Afterwards, I made my way downtown to find out what there is in Columbia, SC. I found a welcoming record store where I spent 20 dollars. There is something noble about buying vinyl, rather than faceless downloading. Or maybe it's another way I try to assert my over-glorified uniqueness. The trip back was quick, but I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a sudden traffic jam, which in turn burned the rubber off of my front right tire, which means now that my tire is uneven. I'll have to get it fixed on Monday. Futile excitement, really. I did like being in Columbia, though. The place made me feel less awkward as a college-age white kid that appreciates things creative. I like places that make me feel that way.

Comments

Popular Posts