A Charlie Brown Christmas


Last week, I watched A Charlie Brown Christmas with the Barretts and a couple fo friends upstairs. I hadn't watched the 1965 Christmas special in many years, and I was suprised by its impact and beauty. The message and delivery of it struck me as genius in its simplicity, as well. In the film, Charlie Brown is disillusioned by the over-commercialization of Chrismas and is depressed because he doesn't understand its true meaning. Upon hearing the story of Jesus' birth from his boy Linus van Pelt, and realizing what Christmas is really all about, Charlie decides that he isn't going to let all of the commercialization ruin his Christmas, and he runs back home to decorate his sorry little tree. Its amazing how something old and simple like that can bring such gut-wrencing conviction. The Peanuts creator, Charles Schultz seems like one of those guys that I wish were still alive. He spoke truth.

I'll be home in 2 days, 11 hours. What a whirlwind 2 days, 11 hours it will be.

Comments

Popular Posts