Shakespeare


If I'm alloted one quirky, nerdy thing about me, it would have to be my interest in language and grammar and communication. I recently had my attention drawn to one William Shakespeare. He is of course one of the most influential voices in history, and a legend and pioneer in his art of play-writing. But, I am far more impressed by the effect that he had on the English language. I found a website that had a list of all of the words that he coined and was the first to ever use. I assumed that such a list would include words like 'thesaurus,' 'etymology,' and 'defenestrate.' I was suprised to find that the words that Shakespeare invented are some of the most common and accepted out there. Here's a sample:

accused
bump
dawn
switch
label
investments
submerge
secure
deafening

That's fascinating to me, but like I said, I'm a nerd.

Comments

Popular Posts