Lupe

Ever since my friend Fred got his turntables, I've been trying to imagine myself as a rap star. Fred made a very good observation yesterday, when we were discussing our hip-hop futures. He observed that there isn't a lot of good rap music out there these days. The few MCs with real talent and something to say are so quick to sell out to industry (Jay-Z) or to their own egos (kanye west). Now, I'm not black. But, what I've always considered "good" rap music is a lyricism that opposes social injustice and promotes personal impowerment of the people of its communities; being a voice for the impoverished inner cities. To hear an artist talking about how rich he is, or how much sex he has is a waste of time, in my opinion. When one has such a widespread cultural medium as rap as their voice, they could change their world. That's what I admire about Hip Hop music the most; its potential. So, as I continue to write my first collaborative Hip Hop record, here's Lupe Fiasco; one of the best I've found so far.



Love this video. Even if only because of the parodized white guy. Oh, and please excuse the language. It's culture.

Comments

Popular Posts