Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lupe

Ever since my friend Fred got his turntables, I've been trying to imagine myself as a rap star. Fred made a very good observation yesterday, when we were discussing our hip-hop futures. He observed that there isn't a lot of good rap music out there these days. The few MCs with real talent and something to say are so quick to sell out to industry (Jay-Z) or to their own egos (kanye west). Now, I'm not black. But, what I've always considered "good" rap music is a lyricism that opposes social injustice and promotes personal impowerment of the people of its communities; being a voice for the impoverished inner cities. To hear an artist talking about how rich he is, or how much sex he has is a waste of time, in my opinion. When one has such a widespread cultural medium as rap as their voice, they could change their world. That's what I admire about Hip Hop music the most; its potential. So, as I continue to write my first collaborative Hip Hop record, here's Lupe Fiasco; one of the best I've found so far.



Love this video. Even if only because of the parodized white guy. Oh, and please excuse the language. It's culture.

No comments: