Why I Love Young Life


Kids. Students, rather. I'm still coming down from what was most likely my favorite club since I began working with Young Life two and a half years ago. We had around 50kids crammed into a space suitable for thrity. The close proximity was extremely catalytic, as any student in attendance couldn't help but get caught up in the energy and excitement of club, or they would be trampled. It was so unbelieveably fun. I always get a little stressed out on Mondays, because I have certain responsibilities that are specific to that day. The presence of stress in my otherwise stress-free life is something new and difficult to adapt to. But, after arriving to the house, setting up for club, making sure everything is ready, picking out intro/outro songs, anticipating messes and adjusting accordingly, etc., the kids come in. They run into the room, pack in as tight as they can, and readily anticipate the songs that kick off club. Their enthusiasm and love of what we do is incredible. It speaks wonders about the love that our Savior has for them and for me; that he created us to jump up and down and sing Miley Cyrus at the top of our lungs. We were created to hold glow sticks and have 30-second dance parties. We were created to put our arms around eachother and scream "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias at the top of our lungs. We serve a mighty God. And it all feels so natural. When the students let go of their inhibitions, stop worrying about what the people around them will think, and scream out "Don't Stop Believing" as loudly as they know how to, it feels right. It feels like there's some future of dancing, singing, smiling, laughing that is awaiting us. And at 8:02pm ("don't be early, don't be late") on Monday nights, we get to experience a little bit of heaven. Kids come; dirty, broken, in desperate need of love. And they get it at Young Life. They get to be in a place full of love and life and relationship, one that is supremely unique. And when I come back to my Savior, I too am dirty, broken, in desperate need of love. And he delivers. He wants to be with me, having finger sword fights, watching Josh Fleming get pied in the face, singing Summertime Girls as best we can. He desires to see me and to hear me and to be with me. I pray that I could respond to that. And, I pray that I can be an honest representation of that love to the students that come to Young Life. And that's why I love it; I have an opportunity to be Jesus to a small, mini-world of High School kids that desperately need Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts