The Absence of Mr. Glass



Thanks to Manybooks.net, I just got finished reading "The Abscence of Mr. Glass" by G.K. Chesterton. It was clever, and I enjoyed it. I've heard of this Chesterton before, and I at least knew that he was a turn of the century apologetic, and apparently pretty well respected in his time. But this short story I read seemed devoid of any Christ-centered apologetic themes, or anything identifiably close. So, I looked him up on wiki, and found this:
Chesterton's writings consistently displayed wit and a sense of humour. He employed paradox, while making serious comments on the world, government, politics, economics, philosophy, theology and many other topics. When The Times invited several eminent authors to write essays on the theme "What's Wrong with the World?" Chesterton's contribution took the form of a letter:

Dear Sirs,
I am.
Sincerely yours,
G. K. Chesterton[12]

Chesterton here combined wit with a serious point – that of fallen human nature and humility.


Donld Miller broaches this topic in Blue Like Jazz, which I'm currently reading; this idea that the problem with humanity is a problem within each individual human being. The idea that if everyone in the world faced their own depravity and sin, then the world would know far less suffering and struggle. So, off I go to figure out if I really believe this about myself.

Comments

Popular Posts