I'm Going to Try This Today

Being a disciple means deliberately identifying yourself with God's interests in other people. Jesus says, 'A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another...' The secret of a Christian's life is that the supernatural becomes natural in him as a result of the grace of God, and the experience of this becomes evident in the practical, everyday details of life, not in times of intimate fellowship with God.


- Oswald Chambers

Kris McDaniel kind of talked about this on Sunday at Trinity (which I love.) The idea is that faithfulness, and "God-likeness" isn't reserved for big, pay-off moments. Faithfulness is all about the details, all about doing the right thing; following Jesus, loving people, doing the most right, etc., in the face and context of the everyday. I think I live reclusively and spend most of my time and mental effort trying to figure things out and make growth happen in my spiritual life, in preparation for the big "pay-off" moment when Jesus tells me to go to Africa or Thailand or East St. Louis. But, this idea is one in contrast of all of that. This idea says to love in the now, to "identify yourself with God's interest in other people." I want that to be a reality in my life. I get so caught up inside my own head about how I'm doing, or how the "progress" in my life looks, or how ready I am to claim manhood. I think way, way too much. But, to seek to follow Jesus by being faithful in the tiny moments that make up my day; that's something to aspire to.

Comments

Popular Posts