The Day that I Can Hear It

Darkness climbing walls of undeniable parity, between the confiscated rulings 
and the indiscriminate monsters of the night. All systematic and subtle,
as we claw and clatter towards some understanding of the terror 
in our threadbare souls. And she crowds the corners of my 
consciousness, the ridiculous remittance that holds me 
at arm’s length. Cackles, calls me caustically, 
by a name I don’t call myself, except 
when I’m honest, except when 
the precepts and edifice 
of my being 
wither 
away 
into a haunted reality of what is and what isn’t.

For I am no hero, no concealed weapon, no mystery. I am flesh. I am bone. 
I am wandering resolution desperate for a home, but cursed 
never to find it. And, I hold it to my chest, this indiscriminate 
circumstance. I caress it and call it my own.  But she, 
this devil well disguised, this simplistic 
caustic carnivore, is persistent 
in her whispers. All is lost, 
she says. All is finite 
and fallible. You 
will die, as you 
have lived, 
and no 
truth 
can sway that momentum. 

No light can derail the darkness.

And here, in the infinite loop of my cluttered conscience, broken by the weight 
of the depth of possibility, of potential presupposition, of chances missed, 
and chances untaken, I listen to her call. I hold it to the light. I wallow 
in its truth that I am nothing. And here, in the deepening cavern 
of desperation and reality, in the midst of a personalized 
and comfortable corner of hell, I await the final verdict, 
that all is finite and fallible, that I will die 
as I have lived.

Desperate, I whisper simple syntax, divining devastation from deliverance, praying 
for an object of my prayers Then, as soon as the tide has taken me, 
when the hope has hollowed out, when my cancer is complete, 
I hear it.

The truth that I am nothing, and from nothing will I start to swell

As another voice, faint but founded, swirls in the silence, dances through the stillness, dips deeply into the depths of my despair.

You. 

Empathetic entity,
Monstrous mystery, 
Heavenly happenstance

Awaken within me. Speak in standards, of life and death and resurrection. 

And wait... 

For the day that I can hear it.

Comments

Popular Posts