Thank Goodness that its Me


It begins
The stillness of the morning, ruptured by her beckoning

Full of wonder and bewilderment
Listless but full

And she, the blossoming menagerie
Whispers as she screams
The song I also sing
Thank Goodness that it’s me

To have, to hold, to see
All the mystery unfolding
The sunshine on the sill
The wind that shakes the trees
The unbearable sweetness
Of this thing I hold, her miles of morning
Blooming, rising, calling me

And she, the wondrous soliloquy
Smiles as she sings
A verse that’s wild and free
Thank goodness that it’s me

So rise, my darling
Light and life and death and darkness
Bundled in your tiny hands
Your smiling face
Your christmas striped pajamas
Mine, my own
My canvas sunrise
My soft breeze blowing
Ruffling this carpetbagging head of mine

And as you wake, I steadily believe
That everything will end alee

Thank goodness that it’s me

Comments

Popular Posts